Sunday, November 29, 2015

Flower Girls



During the summer, a friend of mine got in touch with me to paint a nameplate calligraphy for a friend of her's who had recently had a daughter. Then in the fall, her friend contacted me to ask if I wouldn't mind painting nameplates for all her little girls! We decided to stick with the wild flower theme that I had started with the first painting. Those little violets were a nice place to start. I also tried to keep all of the paintings in a similar summery palette so they would look good altogether when they were displayed.



Some sunny little buttercups to start! All of her girls have very beautiful names to write. It was fun to get to practice my calligraphy, especially on cold press watercolor paper which has a very textured surface. The nib of the pen will often catch and can spatter everywhere so going slow is key! I prefer to work on cold press paper though, I find hot press paper (very smooth) too slippery for my work.



Wild clover for the next one. (Or honeysuckle as I remember it from when I was a kid). Now that I've done quite a few nameplates, I feel like I've got the sizing down so that they will fit comfortably into a 4x6" frame with a mat. It's nice to have a little bit of space around the whole work.



And finally, some purple aster for her first little girl. This one is my favourite of the bunch.

You may have noticed that I'm wearing the same sweater in all of the photos, yet I said that I had painted the first one in the summer. That is true and the more I thought about taking photos of these paintings as a series, the more it bothered me that I might be wearing something totally different for the first photo. Is that weird? I have no idea, it just really bugged me. The same thing for my Doctor Who paintings where the background is different, but making them match at this point is a little bit silly. Especially now since there is snow on the ground! I try to take my photos outside with natural light, but in the winter that becomes a little difficult (way too cold!). These paintings are pretty summery, but I am not ready for winter at all! Let's face it, I'm never ready for winter. But that doesn't stop it from coming around every year. Every other blogger is already busting out the Christmas Shopping Lists posts and showing off their trees, I'm sure. Well, I'm going to hang on to warm weather for just a little longer, thankyouverymuch.

Thanks for reading!

xoxo
Jaclyn

No comments:

Post a Comment